Monday, November 24, 2008

Freaky Leaky


On Friday I had the opportunity to run a sample of my own DNA. It was really cool to go through all the steps and see what the outcome was. To make a really long story short we were running it for a gene that doesn't do anything, supposedly. (I know, it would be so much better if it actually meant something). When we finished up everything on Friday we took a look under the UV lamp to see the fingerprint of the DNA. There was a few ways it could have turned out. Either two really bright lines, one bright line and one dark, or one dark line. The thing with these strands of DNA is that no matter what the brightness of the line they should all line up together on the top whether its yours or someone else's. There was a scale/ladder of sample DNA loaded and this DNA was the control of the experiment which also was supposed to line up. Well when we went to look at the DNA, the other people in my group were normal and lined up, but mine, I was way the hell ahead of them and ahead of the control. My Professor came over to look at it and wasn't sure why it would do that so she had the head of the science department come and look at it, he wasn't sure either. I know I have so many geneticist friends but what do make of this? Jeff and I think I'm alien.

No comments: