This was something that I had never heard of before last night. Yesterday was what I would call a tense day. My first class was my anatomy lab. The beginning of class was great. Since the previous classes cleaned the lab and the models, we put together all of the models of the bodies (plastic) and organized the lab so it is ready for use. At the end of class we were introduced to the cadavers which was a little nerve racking because of my fear of mannequins. The bodies (real) are of a white man, white woman and an asian man. I felt uncomfortable with the body bags open and looking at the faces of these people. Normally when there is mannequin around it is okay, unless they have the life like head, that's when they start to freak me out. While looking at these bodies I had a really hard time looking at anything else the teacher was showing us, except for the face. It really bothered me, and this feeling was something I never expected. Class was over shortly after this and I went next door to my physiology lab. I was really thankful when I walked in that there was nothing in the room except desks, computers, and chairs. We did introductions and a little project and were then dismissed. I had two hours before my anatomy lecture so I went to the library to start memorizing the bones in the skull. There are all kinds of study aids you can get for this and I chose to get a coloring book and flash cards. Pretty elementary, I know, but you would be surprised at what I've learn in one two hour study session. After the library I headed to the science building and sat in the back with my friends from my previous biology class. Lecture started and the Professor put up a few pictures of the skull. Mind you these are not like cadaver pictures, but 2D sketches. We started labeling the different bones and about 1 hour into class I turned to the girl sitting next to me and asked if it was hot in there. She said she wasn't hot. I was really hot. Like sweating hot. I looked at the clock and noticed that there was about a half hour left of lecture. I was starting to get nauseated I was so hot that I had the urge to run out the side doors to get outside where it was cold. I finally got to the point that I felt like I was going to pass out. This feeling isn't new to me but I've never had it come on in this fashion. I jumped out of my seat and walked as quickly as I could to the back doors and as far away from that room as I could. I sat on a chair at the end of the hall and waited. I was there for about 5 minutes until the heat and dizziness went away and then I returned to my class. The girl sitting next to me said I didn't miss anything and we continued labeling.
I'm so afraid that my worst fear will come true and I will be the person passing out or throwing up in class. I wrote about a guy that passed out in my lab last semester and I'm afraid that I'm going to be like him. I hoping that after they get the skulls cut on the cadavers and the faces pulled over that they won't bother me any more and when we finish the head region in lecture I'll be okay in there also. I never, in a million years, thought that any of this would affect me the way it did. I think there is just something about the nasal cavity that makes me want to yack. All the little bones and pathways. Some people don't like feet, I don't like nasal cavities. I also think yesterday I just had to much. Will I make it through anatomy? Probably, but it may not be this semester. I guess it all depends on if I'm able to actually stay in the class without making myself sick. If you've got suggestions I'd love to hear them.
By the way, the vomer is in your nasal cavity.
No comments:
Post a Comment