Friday, January 30, 2009
Guinea pig.
I have to admit that I really like the experiments that I have to do in some of my labs. Physiology lab is no exception. Today we measured brain waves. It's always entertaining to be able to climb up on your desk, have some electrodes attached to your head and wear a swim cap to keep them on. Mine was purple and said YMCA Swim. Very, very fashionable. I had to lay down while the other 4 people in my group ran the tests on me with the computer. They begin pretty simple, consisting mostly of opening and closing my eyes while laying on a table in front of the class. Next came the math problems. I'm still doing okay. After the math problems came the part where I hyperventilate. Not accidentally, but on purpose. I'm not allowed to open my eyes and I have to do it fr 2 minutes. Do you have any idea how hard it is to hyperventilate for 2 minutes? Super short shallow breathes. In and out. Just like child birth. I'm not speaking from experience when I say childbirth because I never did any of that. In, out, in, out. Fast. At 45 seconds I'm ready to pass out on the table. I can't get a rhythm going again and I make my whole group join me. There we are, 5 girls, breathing like we're in a lamas class. Talk about some bonding. There's no way I would have agreed to do this when I was in school before, but today it was actually kind of fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment