Enduring anatomy lab is almost more than I can take. The smell of formaldehyde, the 15 some odd brains in front of me and three, of what used to be people laying on tables in the back with their skull caps cut off and faces, sort of, peeled back. Skull cap and brain sitting on their abdomens waiting to show themselves to the world. I do have a sort of admiration for these three people. They are doing something that I never could, even if I was dead. Jeff has been strictly instructed that I go in the ground as a whole body or I'll haunt him. (I plan on haunting him anyway.)
Last week in lab I had the privilege, or should I say I was one of the last people with gloves on, that got to put the brains away. For the most part we were just putting the lids on the containers but I got really lucky and had to put a brain and skull cap inside a cylinder container. None of the other container were like this and it was not an easy task. I picked up the specimen, turned the container on it's side and began to slip it inside. When it was about half way in it got stuck because the skull cap was just a little bit to wide for the container. I began using a little more force and soon the force turned into a shove. Finally it went in. I tried to put the lid on as best as I could and quickly went to the back of the room to throw my gloves away and wash, no scour, my hands. What do I do when we have a test and I have to dig a little through a cadaver? This isn't going well. It's really not that I'm not smart enough to do it, but do I have the stomach to do it.
I was talking to my little bro John this morning and he said that I remind him of a monster.com commercial. The one where 3 EMT's get out of an ambulance and one of them passes out. "Is this really for me?"
No comments:
Post a Comment