Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hoping for a bounty.

I was outside watering the garden this morning. It's been about 6 weeks since we planted and time for the tomato cages to go up. While messing around with the tomatos I found our first tiny tomato. Yipee! Last year we didn't get anything out of our garden but a bunch of miniture carrots and an unsual amount of artichokes. After talking with my brother about soils and fertilizing and have a soil sample run on our back yard I have begun to understand that the dirt in our backyard is a bunch of crap. So, we have started to ammend the soil just in the garden area for now and can I just say WOW!. Compared to last year when everything grew to about 1/2 of is mature size, this year is going to be great. Now if I can just take care of the aphid problem. My brother would probably suggest praying mantis's. Any other ideas would be appreciated also. I'm just dying to have something good come out of that alkaline garden.

1 comment:

Klein said...

Ladybugs love aphids. You can buy a colony at the garden store... but I am sure John knows what is best. My kids just like to catch the ladybugs. (Which defeats the "colonization")