Sunday, October 3, 2010

Therapy? Really?


As usual, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew this semester of school. The first week I was really feeling good about things, like this may actually be a decent semester for me. Well, after that first week, all hell broke lose and the wrath of the professors has been unleashed. In all actuality it is probably just me, but I've never struggled like this in school before and my frustration seems to building upon itself.

It all started a few days before school when the hard drive went out in my laptop. I took it in to be fixed and it came back with 1/2 the memory and a whole mess of problems. It hasn't worked right since school started and I'm ready to go buy another computer. Something that will get me through a few years of school. I'm looking at netbooks so if anyone has any suggestions, I beg you, please, give me some advise in this area. I can't live without my laptop. It's really sad that I'm so dependant on a piece of machinery but a typewriter and carrying around 70 lbs of books is not my idea of a good time.

I think that I may have mentioned that just before school started I received notification of a grant that was issued to me for $2000.00 a semester as long as I can keep my GPA above a 3.0. Well, since generally I do better than that I thought that it wouldn't really be a problem. Turns out when you don't have all the resources you need (ie. computer) and you can't meet with your teachers because their office hours conflict either with your classes or work schedule it's really not all that easy to keep a decent GPA. To offset all the inconvenience I've formed study groups for all of my classes, which makes it hard to get the homework done because they are all in the evening.

All of this being said, and believe me, this is just the top of the iceberg. I am one stressed out little cookie. I went to see my Doctor and had a nervous breakdown in her office. She offered me some sort of medication for anxiety and I tried to politely decline although I really don't know what came out of my mouth. Then she suggested I go to counseling as an opportunity to work through some of my "issues". What these issues are exactly, remains to be seen. I've never been to counseling before, but I told her I would go because I really don't want to add another medication to my kitchen pharmacy. It was kind of interesting when she mentioned counseling because I had a little "a ha" moment. I didn't realize that I was that stressed out but evidently when I get really stressed some odd behavior comes out in me like anxiety and the urge to drink. So to keep myself from become a lush I agreed to counseling. Who knows, maybe something amazing will come out of it.

1 comment:

Lamchops said...

Welcome to the semi-stressed-to-the-hilt-spastic-parent/spouse-club! I am suprised that you were unaware of your candidacy for President. Man, I don't know how you do it. You are one tough cookie! Good luck. I hope you get someone good!

ps.I have been thinking of you all summer & then some. If you have a second give me a call. It would be nice to get out.