Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Infestation

Oh yes! This is what it looks like. Little Mickey Mouse drown in our dog's water dish. Jeff walked outside just before we were going to leave to meet his parents and our kids for dinner. I heard a loud "Oh my gosh!" from Jeff, which is really unusual, so I went outside to see what was going on and there it was.
We decided to leave it for the kids and left for dinner. While at dinner we didn't say anything about it but we told the kids that they needed to change the water when they get home. After dinner Jeff and I went to the store and then headed home. When we walked in the door Natalie ran up to me shivering and holding her arms saying "Mommy! There was a mouse in the dogs water!" Jeff and I just laughed. His parents, thankfully, clean it up, but a few seconds later his mom said she saw another one. Jeff went out again and started moving things around. He moved the dryer (Yes we are trashy and the washer and dryer are outside, actually it's a space problem.) to see if the mouse ran behind it. He saw one running up the wall so he kicked a board that had been placed over a crack that is between the older and newer (if there really is a newer part) of the house. Not just one, but two mice fell down and scurried away into a little hole at the bottom of the crack. Jeff went inside and got his bebe gun and we all stood outside waiting for the mice to come out of their little lair. After about a half hour of searching and waiting we finally put out the traps and went inside.
About two hours later Jeff went to check on the traps and found two mice dead in the same snap trap. He cleaned everything up and then reset the trap. When we went to bed there was four traps set. Two snap and two sticky.
The next morning Jeff checked the traps again. There was one in a sticky trap, and then his search began. He was missing a sticky trap. I went out to talk to him, he told me he was missing a trap, at the same time we both looked over towards our tree. The trap was laying there upside down. He went to pick it up and said "That's disgusting!" He brought it over to me and I was totally expecting to see a mouse, but that's not what was there. There was just two legs and a tail. It truly was disgusting. We are thinking that a cat that's been hanging around our house got it.
We caught a few more and we were thinking that they were all gone until about a week ago when I went to bed and was half asleep. There was a scratching behind the wall right above my head. I started to freak out and called Jeff at work (Like he could do anything.) I talked to him for a while and did some pounding on the wall. It still wouldn't stop. I think that it was angry because we killed it's little family. I ended up sleeping on the couch until Jeff came home. He didn't hear anything in the wall, but I made him pull the bed away from the wall anyway. So a few days ago we caught the last mouse in trap outside. (So we think.) Hopefully we can seal this old house up enough to not have a problem again.

3 comments:

Klein said...

You know mice will chew their legs and tails off to get out of a sticky trap. MMMMMMmmmmmm! Think about that next time you are using packing tape and it goes wrong!

The Lanyons said...

Ugh, so nasty - but be thankful they weren't rats! And next time I see you remind me to tell you about "the rat years" at my parent's house. It'll make your blood curdle!

Lamchops said...

I just threw up a little. Yuck!