Sunday, October 4, 2009

A few weeks ago, I went to Las Vegas with my sister to drop off some other family members at the airport. My sister and I wanted to go to lunch and get in a little window shopping before we headed home so we ended up at a new shopping center on the south end of town. On the way into the main area we passed a guitar store and I asked my sister if we stop by there before we headed home. In a not so despirate search for mexican food, we ended up at some place with a mechanical bull and really good burgers. (We did not ride the bull, although it was tempting.) Lunch took way to long and we were running short on time when we finished, but we still went into the guitar store.
Parker has been asking for a few months if he can learn to play the guitar. So, as any good mommy does, I bought him one. Not an expensive one, but a 1/2 size, steel string, classical, Fender. I showed it to Jeff when I got home and we decided that it would be an excellent gift for Christmas. (You had all better keep your mouths shut about this when Parker is around.) Anyhoo, I borrowed a guitar from my sister and went to the music store to see if I could find a book that would get him started. I bought a book titled "Kids Guitar Course 1". Keep in mind that the guitar I borrowed is way to big for Parker and he is having a hard time practicing on it. In an effort to keep him interested I have read the childrens course in guitar and play him the 4 cords I know and then have him practice. It looks like I'm learning guitar by default, but I really really like it. This little teaching thing between us will not go on after he gets his own guitar, but we may end up taking lessons together.
So the other night I find Parker with the guitar, sitting on the couch practicing out of the book I bought. It was the cutest thing. He was playing "c" cord and not wearing any pants.

Anyone who can be uninhibited playing the guitar without pants is a true rock star. Maybe I should have bought an electric guitar.

2 comments:

The Lanyons said...

When Dakota started learning guitar he was lucky to have a teacher that left out all the boring chords and junk and jumped straight into the songs to keep him interested. As he went on the teacher snuck in chord work and stuff along the way but not before he was hooked. I thought that was clever because I've always wanted to learn guitar but can't get past the boring bits.

Looks like your little guy is already super interested though. Good on him!

PS - remind me not to sit in that spot if I ever come to visit ya!

Brad and Jennet said...

Not only is he pantsless and playing the guitar, but he also let you take his picture, if only he knew how many of his future girlfriends are going to see this :)