Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ride'm Cowboy!

Saturday, September 5th, we had the privilege of having family over for Parkers 7th Birthday party. We had all kinds of things planned, but when it came down to it we just plain ran out of time to do them all. Our afternoon started with an early lunch that was suppose to begin at 3:00. Jeff went out and fired up the BBQ, but when he went to put the meat on we realized that all 10 lbs. of the hamburgers were frozen together into a solid block. We tried for a half hour to thaw and break them apart but were completely unsuccessful. I ran to the store and found some hamburger patties, that were sure to come apart on the first try, and drove back home. After this little escapade, dinner was a success. We had cake and Parker opened presents, then a few family members headed home. The rest of us headed to the Hurricane rodeo grounds up the street from our house and waited for the rodeo to start. I took a bottle of water up with me because I knew we would be there a while and ended up not getting much of it because Parker was drinking it all. Anyone who has been to this rodeo knows that it's really not a huge deal, but we're pretty desperate for entertainment here. Parker tried his hand Chicken chasing and came up empty handed. (Thankfully) Later he tried catching a greased pig, but again came up empty handed. (Again Thankfully) We waited all night for them to start the mutton busting and finally it was time. After much training, on a big stuffed lion from his room, Parker felt he was ready for the real deal. He mounted his mutton and started to hold on for dear life. The cowboys at the rodeo had to pry him off because the sheep sat down when he got on it. After the prying they got it to stand back up and they put Parker back on.One of them slapped the sheep's butt and he was off. Instead of doing what he had trained to do, Parker felt that it would be better if he didn't keep his legs secure on the sheep and he began to look like a cape made for a sheep.Then he flew off and took an all so graceful roll onto the dirt.He stood up and shook around a little bit. When he got back to the bleachers he told me he had dirt in his underpants, but he had a lot of fun.When he got his trophy, a little gold sheep, he was dancing around and just trying to keep himself composed. I can tell you this...it wasn't from excitement. It was from all the water he drank and the non-use of the restroom when he was asked (about 10 times). This is what a little boy looks like when he really needs to go, but continually puts it off until it is almost to late. I insisted on a picture with his trophy and then we headed home so the poor thing could use the bathroom. Again, how many times did I ask him?

2 comments:

Klein said...

Now we know why cowboys all walk "that way". They have dirt in their underpants!.... Yet another or life's riddles solved!
I love the picture of Parker with his legs in the air...and the human sheep cape.... I guess they all were great.

The Lanyons said...

What the...? I'm gonna have to take my British husband to a rodeo one of these days. He's NEVER been and I'm sure he'd get a kick out watching kids being pummelled by animals.