Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Another torturous day at school.

Have you ever found yourself in a position where you are so frustrated you could cry? (Don't lie to me, we've all been there.) We have been going over population genetics in my evolution class and once again I have found myself in my professors office trying to figure out what on earth is going on. The questions involved have a lot to do with math that I have not had yet, and then there is the whole thinking factor that is nearly impossible for me to do when I'm already nervous about going to see the professor in the first place. So to begin with, I have a few questions for the teacher (that I will not bore you with). We started going over them and then the frustration set in. For some reason I'm just not getting it. I'm asked a question that he just gave me the answer to and I still can't answer it which makes me even more nervous and soon I'm unable to even read the question let alone answer it. I'm trying to clear my head so I can learn this concept but it's just not happening. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes which gave me something else to focus on and made me even more frustrated. Although I can say that I didn't completely break out in tears, I was fairly close. I don't know if my teacher noticed (I'm really hoping not) but this concept is so frustrating for me. It involves equilibrium, dominant and recessive homozygous alleles, heterozygous alleles, fitness calculations, genotypes, and gene frequency (not that this means a lot to most people). Now that I'm home I'm hoping that I'm able to work through and make sense of my calculations without the tears, but if they do come at least I can just go to bed.

No comments: